I know, it’s been a long time since I’ve written about the work we’ve been doing at our shop but between writing a training book, developing a curriculum and teaching future interior designers; managing a wonderful staff, running a shop, fulfilling custom orders, loving the great family I’ve been blessed with, and well, living life, I’ve finally decided that this project is worth taking time out to write about it.
There are so many great ideas out in the world and I’ve always wanted to do some sort of “luggage” themed makeover, but coming across the right piece of furniture was a long time waiting. During the summer, I put it out that I wanted something to paint. Boy did I get some responses! After finishing custom painted pieces for beloved clients, I was finally able to get donated pieces from a friend. We picked up the two nightstands and a dresser months ago, and after drawing a couple of designs and contemplating how I wanted to tackle this fun project, we finally set out to do it.
The first thing we do with any piece of furniture before we work on it is to make repairs and clean it well – really well. With the paint products we use, we do not have to sand nor prime our furniture pieces. We used American Paint Company Clay/Chalk/Mineral Paint and Aging Wax, as well as Briwax, and Valspar’s Weathered Crackle Medium.
To get a weathered and worn look, using the crackle medium and one coat of APC’s “Cannon Ball,” then finishing up with wax worked out well.
It took me a while to find the right hasps and handles because I did not want to spend too much money, but then I also wanted the pieces to look authentically styled. I finally decided to go forward and buy some hasps and replacement luggage handles from Amazon, and would “age” them with paint. I also wanted to use buckles and snaps, but found them either too small, too expensive or not in stock. So I purchased some scrap leather from Hobby Lobby and cut them into strips. I used furniture nail heads to mimic snaps and accents.
Sometimes products don’t want to play nice. Crackle medium can be a challenge to work with, but even as the girls stressed a bit about the outcome, I reassured them it would all be okay. As pictured above, Our “mistakes” actually adds character.
All in all, this was a fun project, and our favorite to date.
Share your thoughts about this project. We’d love to hear from you!